Monday, June 26, 2006

Ghost signs and commercial Cleveland

ghost signs for Uneeda Biscuit and United Bank
I've written in past entries about a favorite sign from my childhood, that of an electric milk bottle endlessly pouring milk into a glass. I don't recall where that was located and I've heard suggestions ranging from the Westinghouse Curve to the old Point Building, on Playhouse Square. In the course of trying to track it down, I became aware of a Society for Commercial Archeology and the fact that there are people who research old commercial signs. Today I discovered a flickr collection on the web, ClevelandSGS', where photographers upload and share their images of signs around town, including "ghost signs" from a bygone era on the sides of buildings, such as those depicted above.

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for the definitive answer on the milk bottle sign.

2 Comments:

At 2:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It was on the Shoreway right before the Westinghouse building. You could see it driving west.

Westinghouse had a nice build neon sign too.

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.cleveland.com/remembers/index.ssf/2011/06/dairymens_big_pouring_milk_sig.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home